Thursday, 1 January 2009

New Years resolutions 'make people feel worse'

. Slight detour from politics here to a seasonal story. The mental health charity, Mind, has warned people not to make New Years resolutions that focus on 'physical imperfections' because they can lead to a negative self-image.

Paul Farmer, Mind Chief Executive, said;

"New Year's resolutions can sometimes focus on our problems or insecurities such as being overweight, feeling unhappy in our jobs or feeling guilty about not devoting enough time to friends and family throughout the year."

We chastise ourselves for our perceived shortcomings and set unrealistic goals to change our behaviour, so it's not surprising that when we fail to keep resolutions, we end up feeling worse than when we started."

I have to confess to not having made any this year. I wonder out loud if any of my readers have...

7 comments:

asquith said...

People set goals they can never hope to live up to because the idea of the hard work of slow, incremental improvement scares them. Accordingly, they plan to fail by making unrealistic plans.

You'd be better off with a set of resolutions like mine. Half the things I've vowed to do, I was already in the process of doing in 2008, & all I'll do is carry on with that & turn the pressure up. It is very easy if you want it enough. & who wants to be a fat cunt that feels like shite all the time?

Digested read, it depends on what you set out to do & how much you want it.

Darrell G said...

Asquith,

I am not sure that is totally the case; it's also the fact that they set big goals and expect almost instant dealivery and are just then not prepared to take the small steps.

It does depend on that...I think this is what the guy is saying really, not to focus on the negative more on the positive.

asquith said...

That sort of mentality is the curse of this country :)

I think a lot of people will be downsizing & changing their priorities in 2009. Healthy living, local food & a reduction in consumer shite will be priorities.

It is a big opportunity. The people of this country will massively overtake Broon & his coterie in the awareness stakes :)

You'll doubtless be wanting to read my own resolutions & taking inspiration therefrom :)

Darrell G said...

Asquith,

Steady lol...I wasnt saying it was my own; just producing another slant on the debate :)In general you have a point I think about a culture of instant gratification....though it is not always bad it is when it produces unrealistic expectations.

Yes I think you are right which as an aside presents an interesting opportunity for lobbying for sustainable, enviromental causes....

Indeed I do, it was the original question asked :)

asquith said...

No, I wasn't suggesting anything :) You certainly don't posess the mentality I was talking about. This obsession with keeping up with the Joneses, whether it be affordable or not, at whatever cost to oneself or others, which has got us into this mess to begin with.

Just saying, like.

Darrell G said...

Asquith,

Thank you :) ye, that is very true...keeping up on cheap and easy credit etc etc...

So, what are your resolutions?:)

asquith said...

http://dry-valleys.blogspot.com/2009/01/welcome.html

Helpfully, I've categorised them into things I'll almost certainly do, things I might do, & things I've got little prospect of ever doing :)